Makeup brushes are useful tools that aid in applying makeup. A good quality brush will help achieve a smooth, even finish. There are different types of makeup brushes for different types of makeup.
But over time, they collect bacteria, and they can become worn out and need to be replaced. How do you figure out what kind of brush to buy?
Types of Makeup Brushes
It’s important to buy a brush that was designed for the makeup you are applying. Here is a guide to the different types of makeup brushes:
- Powder brush: distribute loose powder over the face
- Tapered foundation brush: apply foundation, highlighter, or blush very precisely
- Blush brush: use to apply blush to the cheeks
- Kabuki brush: apply loose powder or body shimmer
- Silicone blender: use for blending foundation
- Beauty blender: apply wet and dry foundation
- Stippling brush: use to create an airbrushed effect
- Contour brush: use to achieve defined cheekbones and facial structure
- Fan brush: apply highlighter or blend out lines
- Brow brush: style and fill in eyebrows
- Eye shadow brush: apply eye shadow over the lids
- Angled eye shadow brush: use to smudge and contour eye makeup
- Eye shadow crease brush: apply eye makeup to the eyelid creases
- Eyeliner brush: apply liner and get a fuller lash line
- Spoolie/mascara wand: apply mascara to the eyelashes
- Lip brush: apply lip color or gloss
- Lip liner brush: use for adding lip liner (after the main color)
Quality Makeup Brushes
What should you look for in a makeup brush? Here are some helpful hints:
- Brush it against your skin; the bristles should feel soft
- When you brush it against your skin, make sure none of the bristles fall out
- A good brush is filled with densely-packed bristles
- It should have a solid, ergonomic handle made with wood or plastic
Some makeup brushes even allow for quick and easy replacement of the heads, like these brushes from Beautiac.
When shopping for a makeup brush, there are a couple things to consider. First of all, the type of brush you choose depends on the type of makeup you will be using it for. Secondly, be sure to choose a good quality brush that will last a while.