Giving a name to your baby is one of the most important decisions you will make for him or her. It’s a decision you don’t want to take quickly and lightly, and is certainly worth putting in the time to investigate all your possibilities. From the meaning of the name to the way it sounds, and the way it goes with the other names the baby will have, there is a lot to earnestly consider. Old fashioned baby names and vintage baby names are no longer out of style, but are the most sought after and fashion forward names today.
Parents are interested in old fashioned baby names from the turn of the century and names popular with colonists and pioneers. Naming your baby girls after great-grandma Abigail and Katherine would now be one of the most popular names. Old fashioned baby names for a boy are just as popular. Arthur, Edward, Vincent and Victor are just some of the boy names which were popular a hundred years ago and are very fashionable today.
Here are ten things to consider while you are searching for old fashioned baby names for girls or boys:
1) Spelling – Spelling of the name should be considered, as you don’t want your child to be correcting his or her name for the rest of their life. Be sure whichever name you pick has a clear and obvious spelling. Some old fashioned baby names may not look how they sound. If you and your spouse have found a name you like, and it has questionable spelling, double check it, and see if there is an alternate way to spell it.
2) Pronunciation – Pronunciation is also important. Because you know how to pronounce it, it doesn’t mean everyone else will. You might consider the possible mispronunciations too. If you have to correct the spelling or pronunciation of your name all your life, it can be frustrating. Many people end up changing it, or going with a pet name that has nothing to do with their original name. That defeats the whole purpose of you choosing a name.
3) Sound- Think about how the name sounds. It’s nice to have an unusual name, but if others don’t understand how to say it can be awkward.
4) Last name connection – Every time you look for old fashioned names keep in mind the last name the baby will have. Picture the name you are considering with the middle and last name and be sure you like the sound of the flow.
5) Gender ID – A gender neutral name is also a unique option. There are lots of names that work well for a boy or girl, but you may find yourself having to clarify the gender of your baby, and it may cause embarrassing moments for your child.
6) Nicknames -When you are looking through names, do a nickname check. Go through all possible nicknames of the name you are considering. Boys can easily get stuck with a nickname they hate and find it difficult to change.
7) Popularity – Because of the internet, you have easy access to names which are popular and how often they are selected. This may not matter to you at all if you like a name, but sometimes it is nice to know how much the name has been chosen. It may give you inspiration to search further and find a really unique name.
8) Unique – You may want to find something that is meaningful and attractive, at the same time unusual and classic. Old fashioned baby names are very unique, and truly a good source of originality and distinctiveness combined.
9) Initials – Take notice of the initials the names will make. Avoid initials that will make a funny word, as this will lead to a lot of stressful, teasing and embarrassing moments in your child’s life. Girls and boys take things like pronunciation and initials personally, and it affects their self-image.
10) Meaning – For some the meaning of the name is most important. You may want the name to express a particular feeling or emotion. The significance of the name you and your partner choose can have a lot of meaning for you, and will in time have meaning for your child.
You may decide that some or all of these things don’t matter. However, when you are looking for old fashioned names, keeping these tips in mind will help you ensure that your child will be happy and secure with their name their whole life. A name is part of your identity, and if you are happy with it, chances are you will have greater self-esteem and confidence.