Exfoliation will contribute to the natural cell renewal of the skin by eliminating part of the layer of dead cells which are also called corneocytes and which form the horny layer.
This will allow
- to oxygenate the skin and therefore to renew itself better and thus make it much more radiant
- to improve the penetration, in depth, of the treatments since the protective layer will be less thick and therefore less waterproof
- reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- to make it much softer
- accelerate cell renewal
What to exfoliate?
You can exfoliate your body or face
For the body, exfoliate particularly the places which are subjected to friction like the elbows, the knees, the heels, because this is where the stratum corneum is thickest. Indeed, these are places more stressed and which will naturally produce the horny layer to protect the skin from these attacks. You need to use peeling gel for the same.
For the face, it will first be necessary to pay attention to the type of skin you have, because this can be very good for oily skin, but on the other hand, totally harmful for irritated, reactive or even dry skin. Determine what your skin type is before you exfoliate. (There are devices for this, such as BIA Skin Analyzers, if you don’t know what it is)
When should you exfoliate?
Woman with dull complexion
First, choose the day and time to exfoliate according to your schedule. Never exfoliate your skin if you are going to expose it the same day or even the next day to the sun. Give it time to regenerate to protect itself. For your body, the ideal is in your shower. You wash it off first so you can put your exfoliant on damp skin. Then, you apply your exfoliant (cream, balm), or even a simple horsehair glove for the most resistant skin. Finally, you massage in a circular fashion the places on your body where you need to exfoliate before rinsing.
- For your face, you can do it in the evening or in the morning. You then apply a little of your exfoliant all over your face.
- Then, you make small circular movements a little more accentuated on the middle parts and a little lighter on the cheeks, you will avoid the eye area.
- You rinse with plenty of lukewarm water and dry your skin gently.
- After that, you will apply a serum which will allow it to reconstitute itself quickly with the natural molecules that you will bring to it.
- You have understood that with exfoliation, your skin is partly “bare” , which makes it fragile to climatic aggressions: wind, sun, dryness, cold, etc. (sunburn, brown spots, redness, dryness of the skin)
- So schedule these exfoliations according to your schedule, avoiding the days when you are going to expose your skin to these climatic aggressions.
How often should you exfoliate depending on the type of skin?
An exfoliation (or scrub) can be done once a week on normal combination or oily skin. On the other hand, it will not be done more than once a month for reactive, sensitive or dry skin, or even not at all for the most irritated. Exfoliation is even strongly discouraged for people suffering from severe rosacea.