Sciatica nerve pain can be unbearable and debilitating that you don’t like moving from your bed or sofa. It can cause because nerve pinching, inflammation, or irritation on the lower back. You can blame your herniated disc, which puts pressure on the root nerve. The recovery process follows self-care of not more than 3-5 months.
Sometimes, sciatica nerve pain results in a burning sensation that passes from your buttocks to the legs. It makes the patients think that there is something critical but it’s not true. In most of the cases, self-diagnosis gives relief from sciatica nerve pain. You need to perform some stretching exercises for sciatica pain that we are listing down here.
Best Sciatica Treatment Exercise
For stretching your lower back and strengthening abdominal muscles, you can do a pelvic tilt. It’s an easy sciatica treatment exerciseto do. To make sure you are doing it right, put your pinky finger on the hip bone and thumb on the lowermost rib. When the abdominal muscles will be tight, both of your fingers will come close. Now, how can you do it? For this, follow the given steps below.
- Lie down with your back on the ground
- Push your belly button to the floor while exhaling and tightening the abdominal muscle
- Maintain the same position for 5 seconds
- Do the same for at least 10 times for effective results
Forward Pigeon Pose
You can manage sciatica nerve pain by performing forward pigeon nose. It’s one of the effective remedies for relieving pain.
- Put your knees and hands all on the floor
- Move your right leg forward on the ground while keeping the lower leg in the horizontal position to the body. Make sure to put the right foot in front of your left knee.
- Now, stretch your left leg, keeping the foot top on floor and toes indicating towards back
- Start releasing body weight from your arms to the legs for gaining weight support.
- Sit straight along with keeping the hands on any side of your legs.
- Next, do deep breathing and when you are exhaling, lean your upper body part to the front leg. Also, support your weight using arms and then repeat this on the other side.
Sitting Spinal Stretch
Sitting spinal stretch makes space in your spines for alleviating pain. It releases pain from your sciatic nerves.
- Sit on the ground and extend your legs out straight, while keeping the feet bent upwards.
- Flat your foot on the floor, on the side of the opposite knee, and flex your right knee.
- Bring your left elbow on the side of your knee so that you can come in the position of turning your body to the right
- Be in the same position for half a minute and repeat the same using your other body side.
Standing Hamstring Stretch
Standing Hamstring Stretch reduces tightness in your hamstring muscles. This sciatica treatment exercise helps in relieving pain in your sciatic nerve.
- Put your right foot on the surface, which is elevated to your hip level. A chair or a step of a staircase will work.
- Make your toes and leg straight by flexing your foot.
- In case of knees extends more than required, bend it slightly.
- Lean your body in the forward position to the foot. Move further for deeper stretches.
- Don’t mistake pushing yourself too far or else the pain will go worse
- The hip of your lifted leg needs to be now moved downward. Some people find this difficult to do. You can use a yoga strap or long exercise band to your right thigh.
- Hold the same position for 30 seconds with the leg lifted. Now, do the same with your other side of the leg.
How do these exercises help?
For the management of your sciatic nerve pain, these exercises are helpful when performed in the right way. You should do the same under a specialist for strengthening your spine and increasing mobility. Moreover, performing exercises releases endorphins, which combine with pain receptors and helps to handle it better.
It is always advised to perform the above exercises under the guidance of a physical trainer. This will help you to avoid the further consequence of sciatic nerve pain. For a better and quick pain-relieving option, you can try Moov Strong Gel/spray.